The Blohm & Voss BV 222 Wiking (Viking) was a large German flying boat of World War II.
The BV 222 Wiking six-engined flying boat was originally ordered in September 1937 by Deutsche Lufthansa as a civil flying boat, but was quickly taken over as a military transport. A dorsal gun turret was added behind the cockpit. Rearward facing machine gun turrets were added on both wings. Access in flight through the wing was via a tubular wing spar of a metre in diameter. Engineers could also reach the two stroke diesel engines in flight via the same spar.
Originally the type was powered by Bramo 323 “Fafnir” radial engines. Later aircraft were powered by six 1,000 hp Jumo 207C inline diesel engines. The use of diesel engines permitted refueling at sea by U-boats. The BV 222C-13 aircraft was a sole example fitted with Jumo 205C engines and later Jumo 205D.
The type was noted for a long flat floor inside the cabin and a large square cargo door aft of the wing on the starboard side. The flat floor was a welcome novelty for that era. Only thirteen aircraft were thought to have been completed. Early aircraft were identified as V1 to V8. Production examples were designated C-09 to C-13.